Pregnancy is as exciting and stressful as it is enjoyable. Many expectant mothers may face stress during this special period, either because of the problems of pregnancy or for other reasons. Problems such as nausea, vomiting, frequent urination, back pain and back pain that occur with pregnancy can change the mother’s routine life and cause stress, while other issues such as work life, economic conditions, and the baby’s life after birth can also create a stressful environment by creating pressure on the mother.
Situations that Trigger Stress during Pregnancy
- Problematic pregnancy
- Past infant loss
- Twin or triplet pregnancy
- Relationship problems
- Stressful life events
- Teenage pregnancy
How Does Stress During Pregnancy Affect the Baby?
A significant stress load on the expectant mother can have a number of negative effects on the baby;
- Increased risk of miscarriage
- Risk of premature birth
- Low birth weight
- Decreased mental functioning
- Attention deficit
How to Avoid Stress During Pregnancy?
All women can face various sources of stress during their pregnancy, but the important thing is to manage these stressors properly. The stronger the expectant mother is physically and mentally, the easier it is for her to cope with stress. Therefore, they should pay attention to their diet, eat healthy, get enough sleep and avoid bad addictions such as alcohol and smoking. Apart from these, the expectant mother can also use them to cope with stress during pregnancy;
- Regularly practice stretching and relaxation exercises,
- By knowing more about pregnancy and childbirth, they can prevent fear and anxiety caused by ignorance,
- She can relax herself by practicing stress-reducing activities such as meditation,
- They can practice breathing exercises when they feel stress. (breathing slowly, deeply and rhythmically from the chest, not from the abdomen)
- Instead of making decisions about stressful situations on their own, they can get support from experienced people.
Remember, excessive stress is never healthy for either the expectant mother or the baby. By applying the recommended methods to combat stress during pregnancy, you can spend this period more comfortably and happily and help reduce the stress you experience.
I wish you a stress-free pregnancy…