Pregnancy is a special process that causes many different changes in a woman’s body and psychology. The mechanical causes of pregnancy, especially hormonal causes, lead to different changes in the female body. Many women feel that pregnancy has a positive effect on their skin and that pregnancy makes them more beautiful. However, some women, on the contrary, may think that they have become ugly and may even become ashamed of their body. This is actually purely psychological, because pregnancy is a beautiful and special process that suits every woman and should be accepted for what it brings.
Changes in the skin during pregnancy
While some women do not experience any skin changes during pregnancy, others may experience changes such as dry skin, stretch marks, oiliness or itching. Increased hormones during pregnancy can cause some changes in the skin as well as in the body and psychology.
- Stretch marks : Stretch marks are the most common skin change during pregnancy. Stretch marks called stria gravidarum usually occur in the lower abdomen. However, it is rare to see stretch marks on the buttocks, breasts, arms and thighs.
- Pregnancy Mask : The pregnancy mask, which occurs on the cheeks, forehead, upper lip, nose and chin, is the name given to the brown spots that occur in these areas during pregnancy. The pregnancy mask, caused by pigment changes in the face, is caused by the increased secretion of a substance called melanotropin during pregnancy.
- Pregnancy Acne : Especially after the eighth week of pregnancy, the changing hormonal balance can lead to an increase in acne in some expectant mothers. In rare cases, on the contrary, a decrease in existing acne can be observed.
- Linea Nigra : Linea nigra, which means black line in Latin, is the darkening of the structure called linea alba, which is located between the belly button and the pubic junction in the middle of the groin. The darkening disappears spontaneously after pregnancy.
- Vascularization : Increased levels of estrogen in the blood can sometimes cause vascularization in the face, chest, arms, legs and neck. The veins are usually slightly raised.
- Palmar Erythema Although the exact cause of palmar erythema, known as redness and mottling on the palms, is not known, it is attributed to an increase in the amount of estrogen. Rashes and spots, which may cause mild burning and itching, can be found in 50-55% of pregnant women.