Multiple pregnancy, which sometimes causes fear and sometimes extra happiness among couples, is a condition in which there are more than two pregnancies. Especially in recent years, the widespread use of advanced reproductive techniques such as infertility treatments and drugs used in these treatments has led to a significant increase in multiple pregnancies. So what is multiple pregnancy? How does it occur, are there risks? Let’s examine all together.
What is Multiple Pregnancy? How is it formed?
The most common type of multiple pregnancy is twin pregnancy. Twins are divided into monozygotic (monozygotic) and dizygotic (dizygotic) twins. Dizygotic twins are not actually genetic twins, but siblings with no age difference. Just like in infertility treatment, these siblings are the result of more than one egg cell being released during menstruation and fertilized by more than one sperm. Monozygotic twins are formed when a fertilized egg splits into two.
– If division occurs within the first 72 hours after fertilization, there are two babies, two amniotic membranes and two placentas. (diamniotic, dichorionic)
– If the division takes place between days 4 and 8, there will be two babies, two amnion and one placenta.
– Division 8. day, there will be two babies, one amnion and one placenta.
– 8. After one day, the divisions that occur later in the day result in conjoined twins. ( Siamese twins )
The mechanism is the same for triplets or more pregnancies. The fertilized egg is first divided into two, then one of the new embryos is divided into two again, and in this way triplets, quadruplets, etc. are born. may occur.
Increased Risks in Multiple Pregnancies
– The risk of miscarriage is high.
– Nausea is high.
– Placental abnormalities are more common.
– Cerebral Palsy is more common in infants.
– Vanishing Twin Syndrome can be seen.
– Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome can be seen.
– Maternal nutritional needs are higher than in singleton pregnancies.
Multiple pregnancies are generally classified as risky pregnancies. They should therefore be monitored more closely. Especially in pregnancies with more than two babies, both mother and babies are at higher risk. Multiple pregnancies do not prevent normal vaginal delivery. However, cesarean delivery is more common in multiple pregnancies. The most important aspect of the birth shape is the position of the babies. It is best to discuss the appropriate method of delivery with your doctor.
I wish you a healthy, risk-free pregnancy.