During pregnancy, if everything is healthy and on track, the expectant mother can spend the pregnancy period comfortably without being away from her social life and activities. However, sometimes when you think everything is going well, your doctor may recommend bed rest for your health and the health of your baby. There is nothing to fear or worry about in this situation. Bed rest is generally recommended to prevent complications and possible adverse effects during pregnancy. This is to ensure that the pregnancy is completed in a healthy way.
What is Bed Rest during Pregnancy?
There are different types of bed rest during pregnancy.
- Activity restriction : The expectant mother stops sports, sexual intercourse and heavy physical activity for a certain period of time.
- Home Rest : During home rest, the expectant mother is advised to spend most of the day at home and not to do any activity other than light housework or personal care.
- Bed rest : The expectant mother should stay in bed except for eating and using the toilet.
- Strict bed rest : The expectant mother is not allowed to get out of bed at any time, including eating and using the toilet.
Conditions requiring bed rest during pregnancy:
- Cervical insufficiency
- Hypertension in pregnancy
- Vaginal bleeding
- Threat of premature birth
- Multiple pregnancy
- Placenta previa
- Intrauterine growth retardation
- Preeclampsia (Pregnancy Poisoning)
How should bed rest be done during pregnancy?
The recommended bed rest during pregnancy is usually the position of lying on the left side with pillows on the abdomen and the knees slightly drawn to the abdomen. If lying on your back, the heel level should be higher than shoulder level. Bed rest can make the expectant mother feel lonely and isolated. In rare cases, this can lead to problems such as depression, loss of self-confidence and anxiety in the expectant mother. In addition, loss of tone and joint pain may occur with prolonged bed rest. In such cases, mild exercises such as changing the position of lying on the right and left side and stretching the arms and legs can be applied. You can also read books to prevent boredom and maintain a social life by inviting friends often. If your doctor has given you bed rest during your pregnancy, I recommend that you do not see this as a negative situation, but consider it as a process to protect your baby and your health and make this process enjoyable with small precautions.